Re: Couple of questions

Subject: Re: Couple of questions
From: Timothy A. Seufert (tas@mindspring.com)
Date: Sun Nov 25 2001 - 18:27:50 MST

At 11:30 AM -0800 11/25/01, dano wrote:

>Isn't MkLinux only for NuBus and discontinued?

MkLinux also ran on early PCI PowerMacs. Apple doesn't support it
any more, though there does seem to be a small group of people
outside Apple who are still trying to update it.

>How related are MkL and YDL?

MkLinux has some significant differences in the kernel. It's not a
true Linux but rather a Linux "server" sitting on top of the Mach
microkernel. YDL uses the standard Linux kernel.

>Will the manual for the first have any crossover value vis a vis the other?

Some.

>>One way to get reliable networking now is to put in a well supported PCI
>>network card. In general, Tulips and many Tulip clones work well.
>
>How do we identify tulip cards?

Look at the chip. If it's a DEC (Digital) 21040, 21041, 21140,
21142, or 21143 you're good to go. Later examples may be made by
Intel because Intel bought the design from DEC.

True DEC/Intel Tulip cards are the best, but these days it's much
easier to find a clone. One common one is the Lite-On PNIC. Not all
clones work on PPC yet.

An easier way than identifying the chip is to go to the
manufacturer's website and see if they have instructions for making
the card work in Linux. If the instructions tell you to use the
tulip.o driver, it's a Tulip or Tulip clone and should work.

Another common Ethernet chip is the RealTek RTL8139. I can't fully
endorse them because the RTL8139 is a really crappy design, but the
driver (8139too) does work on PPC and they are VERY cheap (I've seen
them for under $15 retail).

--
Tim Seufert