PPP/Modem problems

Subject: PPP/Modem problems
From: Jose M. (josemanuel@valux.org)
Date: Mon Nov 26 2001 - 00:55:05 MST

Hi Dan!:

Yesterday, I've just instaled YDL 2.1 on my iMAC (500 Mhz. with a CD-RW, with a "cobalt modem").

I've chaged only /dev/ttyS0 permissions to rw-rw-rw, created /dev/modem link, and increased timers for kppp, that's the only changes I've done, from 50 (seconds?) to 70.

Modem works in a strangeous manner, that's it, I've conected via my local ISP, but trying to connect later gave me the message "Sorry, modem doesn't responds"...

But, for any reason, I need a terminal (kterm) as a root user to be able to conect to Internet the first time.

Changing to terminal 1 (via Ctrl+Alt+F1) I saw some messages from KDE about device locked and unable to open it...

Sorry, but I can't be more exact on my information, this afternoon I'll back to investigate and trying to clarify what's wrong.

I think this can help you.

Thanks for your effort.