RE: PPP/Modem problems

Subject: RE: PPP/Modem problems
From: Carney, Kevin (CarneyKJ@Reading-Recovery.org)
Date: Tue Nov 27 2001 - 10:43:15 MST

Hi,

I have a 2000 Powerbook and I had trouble connecting to the internet with my
internal modem (cobalt modem; ttyS0) with the latest version of YDL. You
are correct, the problem here is that the dialers are not waiting long
enough for the modem to power up. Dialers like wvdial and kppp simply don't
handle this. As far as I know, the only way to get dialers like kppp or
wvdial to work would be to change the source code of these programs to make
them wait longer to when opening the serial port (there is no easy way to
make these dialers wait longer before sending the init string, at least to
my knowlege.) However, I have had great success connecting to the internet
using minicom and using chat. Now I usually use the chat scripts found in
the /usr/share/doc/ppp* directory to connect. (I had to modify these a bit
to make them work. One can set the TIMEOUT value in the scripts when sending
the init string to a larger value.) I started making a web page telling how
I got my modem working on my powerbook, perhaps it could help you out. The
URL is http://home.earthlink.net/~kcarney2/dialup.html

I hope this helps!

-Kevin