backups, external devices, cross os exchange

Subject: backups, external devices, cross os exchange
From: John Klinck (klinck@ccpo.odu.edu)
Date: Mon Nov 26 2001 - 09:11:12 MST

  I am trying to set up a mechanism to backup my ydl partitions or store
software offline. I would like to use my firewire cd burner, but I could
also use an exabyte (8mm) tape drive that I have. As a last resort, I could
buy a SCSI burner, but that seems a bit silly. Below are several plans, but
each has questions which I would like to find out about before proceeding.

Setup:
  TiBook, G4, YDL 2.0 (with upgrades), macos 9.1, kernel 2.4.4

Plan 0:
  I have been told from the list that creation of an NFS partition on my
  internal disk which is cross mounted is one way to move files to the mac
  side. These could then be moved to the firewire cd-r. This requires
  repartioning and reloading which would be a bit painful at this
  stage. Anyway, I have to save the ydl upgrade files, and other stuff I
  have installed, somewhere so I can re-do my current setup.

Plan 1:
  I have an external USB drive which I wanted to set up as NFS which could
  be cross mounted and from which I could move files to cd-r. The disk is
  NFS+ and I could not find tools, on either the mac or linux system, to
  change the file structure. Notes say that YDL does not recognize USB
  disks. Is this at boot or not at all? Some USB devices are recognized.
  What tools are available in macos 9 to change the file type of this disk?
  Is this advisable?

Plan 2:
  I have an unused Sun sparc2 computer with scsi hard drives and a tape
  drive. I could reuse the external disk and tape for the laptop (at home,
  of course) by mounting to the linux partition for off line storage. What is
  the easiest way to add scsi to a TiBook? Will pcmcia/scsi interfaces work?
  These cards seem to be rare these days. Which cards are known to work with
  YDL?

Plan 3:
  I could get another ide drive to use as extra storage and for cross
  mounting. There is only one drive bay on the TiBook. Is there any way to
  add a second ide drive as an external drive? I have not seen any interface
  cards (pcm/ide). I had even thought of switching my current disk with a
  second, larger, ide disk and reloading everything with an additional hfs
  partition for cross mounting. This plan still has the problem of how to
  get info from the current internal disk.

  Is there a hardware guide out there that helps with these issues of device
drivers, interfaces and so forth. The few books and HowTo's I have seen are
about wintel hardware which does not help. Any suggestions?

John

John M. Klinck
Center for Coastal Physical Oceanography
Department of Ocean, Earth and Atmospheric Sciences
Old Dominion University
Norfolk, Virginia 23529
phone: 757 683-6005, fax: 757 683-5550 email: klinck@ccpo.odu.edu