Re: Networking Woe's

Subject: Re: Networking Woe's
From: Timothy A. Seufert (tas@mindspring.com)
Date: Thu Nov 29 2001 - 20:55:00 MST

At 2:02 PM -0800 11/29/01, Mark Jaffe wrote:

>Trying to manage added network card; I've got my Realtek 8139 working now,
>it shows up as eth1 but at boot time message comes out "Delaying eth1
>initialization" and I don't know how to make this stop so it comes up at
>boot time. I have to get into X to run netcfg (is there a non-X equivalent
>script??) and even after using netcfg to enable eth1 and disable eth0
>(built-in MACE) if I do "ifconfig -a" it only shows lo and eth0. What does
>this mean? How can I get it to stick to using eth1 only at boot time?

Let me guess -- the RTL8139 driver is built as a module. The problem
is that at the time the boot scripts try to initialize network
interfaces, the driver module hasn't been loaded, and therefore the
"eth1" interface doesn't exist as far as the kernel is concerned.
The boot scripts get as far as figuring out the interface doesn't
exist even though there is a configuration file for it, but, not
knowing what to do to bring it online, they just punt and do the
"delaying initialization" thing.

Two workarounds (that I know of): build the driver into the kernel
instead of as a module, -or- add the following line to the top of
/etc/modules.conf to force it to load automatically:

alias eth1 8139too

(or rtl8139 if you're using that driver instead).

--
Tim Seufert