Re: [OT] OSX (was Re: MacOS 9.1 to X.1 Upgrade ¿dangerous?.)

Subject: Re: [OT] OSX (was Re: MacOS 9.1 to X.1 Upgrade ¿dangerous?.)
cbsled@ncia.net
Date: Fri Nov 30 2001 - 07:52:16 MST

On 11/30/01, at 02:54 AM, "Nathan A. McQuillen" <nm@steaky.dhs.org> said:

>That's the thing: it remains a Macintosh, with some of the same sacrifices and
>tradeoffs, and much of the same design philosophy.

Right, and that philosophy hasn't changed in over 15 years. They threw out some of the best available *nix features, like virtual desktops, and held on tight to all the truly annoying and dysfunctional parts of the Mac GUI, along with its traditional "We Know What's Best for You" lack of configurability. Before anyone flames me for that comment, go take a look through the KDE Control Center. Now compare that with OSX. It's pretty and elegant, yes, but it's also pretty clear that they went for style over substance in the interface design.

Then there's the matter of the 1Gig base os install footprint... And I thought Microsoft was the king of bloatware. OS X is over 5 times the size of 9.1. On a laptop? Better make it a new one. I dumped OSX off my Wallstreet Powerbook within a week. Including the "developer tools", which don't include a compiler BTW, it's over 1.5G.

Carl Brown cbsled@ncia.net
Support Organized Crime-
Buy Microsoft products