X configuration - problems under 2.2.17

Subject: X configuration - problems under 2.2.17
From: Iain Stevenson (iain@IainStevenson.com)
Date: Tue Oct 10 2000 - 11:38:41 MDT

I have YellowDog Linux upgraded to kernel 2.2.17 and I've been trying to get
graphics acceleration to work. Several attempts over a number of months
usually end in hair wrenching problems! My Mac is a standard 9600/200 with
the IMS card. I have a monitor that only runs to 800*600 resolution.

The problem:

- Xconfigurator will not run in expert mode meaning that no menus are
presented to enable graphics parameters to be set

- unchecking the "no video driver" box leaves the system booting in a
resolution too high for my monitor - no (reasonable) vmode option seems to
make any difference

- kernel 2.2.17 does not provide the interactive list of startup files. It
leaves a screen with just five lines of introduction showing whilst it
boots. If X fails to start then one is just left with these lines and no
way to log in (other then telnet from a remote machine). How do you go back
to the old fashioned startup screen?

At the moment, the console is stuck in 640 * 480 mode - the only one that
seems to work - and I can't get it any higher. How can I configure Xwindows
to start reliably at a higher resolution?

  Iain Stevenson