Re: Evil bootloader or clueless newbie?

Subject: Re: Evil bootloader or clueless newbie?
From: Gawain Reifsnyder (gawain@guitar.net)
Date: Fri Oct 13 2000 - 12:23:06 MDT

At 8:54 PM -0700 on 10/12/00, philippe tapon wrote:

>Hm. it mmaaaayy be an evil bootloader, but methinks it's the
>alternative. Heh. My yaboot.conf file uses yaboot rather than
>yaboot.tbxi and it goes like this:
>
><-- begin yaboot.conf--->
>
>image=hd:8,\\\\vmlinux
>novideo
>label=linux
>root=/dev/hda11
>
><-- end yaboot.conf-->
>
>with these caveats: my vmlinux kernel is in the MacOS system folder, one
>level up from the root, hence the four backslashes; two backslashes, I
>found out, indicates the root folder. Or at least it did in my case.
>The root rather than initrd command worked in my case as well. I should
>add I'm using a G3 New World machine.
>
>good luck / hope this helps

Hey, it worked!

I moved the linux kernel and the other files into the system folder
and used "root" as above and it booted up. Thanks *very* much for the
advice.

So far, all seems to be running well.. Now time to start installing software!

I'll be doing mod_ssl this time, so I'm sure I'll be posting more
questions before long... ;-)

Best regards,

Gawain Reifsnyder
Guitar.net, Inc.