Re: MacOS vs HFS

Subject: Re: MacOS vs HFS
From: William F. Hostman (aramis@gci.net)
Date: Fri Oct 13 2000 - 18:58:35 MDT

>But to bring this back on topic: why make the disk image bootable?
>Is that neccessary for yaboot or something? From my experience with
>BootX and OpenFirmware installs (of SuSE, LinuxPPc, NetBSD, YDL, and
>now MkLinux R1) there's no need for a bootable install disk. Or is
>there some way to run linux without having _any_ Mac OS partition,
>which requires a bootable install disk?
>I thought even Yaboot required a small, fake mac os. So what's the skinny?

Yaboot needs no MacOS SOFTWARE. It does need to reside on an HFS partition
(not quite the same thing). But Yaboot also needs the Open Firmware, as
far as i can tell.

Bootable CD's allow you to tottally escape the need for MacOS at all (but
not for the HFS partition), if said CD boots using a kernel you can operate
with. (Which meant for me, I HAD to have a MacOS partition, so I could put
a workable kernel into the loop, as 1.2 distro's kernel didn't work on the
DV SE 500Mhz.)

William F. Hostman | "Smith & Wesson: THe original Point and Click
interface!"
Aramis 0602 C55A364-C S kk+ as+ hi+ dr+ va++(--) so+ zh++ vi+ da++ sy- ge-
533
aramis@gci.net http://home.gci.net/~aramis Vilani: uilamaanamti sirohbrankilin
IMTU 1.0: tc tm++ tn- t4-- tt+ to- tg-- ru+ ge 3i+ c+ jt-() au+ st- ls
pi+() ta+ he+(-) kk+ as+ hi+ dr+ va++(--) so+ zh++ vi+ da++ sy- ge- pi+