Re: PostgreSQL vs MySQ

Subject: Re: PostgreSQL vs MySQ
From: Helena van den Akker (helena@mget.nl)
Date: Sat Oct 14 2000 - 04:33:53 MDT

* Pete Prodoehl (pete.prodoehl@cygnusinteractive.com) [001013 23:28]:
> I think choosing which database works best for the task at hand should be
> determined by the features you need.
>
> Some PostgreSQL/MySQL links:
>
> http://openacs.org/philosophy/why-not-mysql.html
> http://sun.med.ru/~phd/Software/SQL/PostgreSQL-vs-MySQL.html

You should keep in mind, though, that these comparisons are relatively
old. MySQL supports transactions (commit|rollback) now (on a per-table
basis, which is a good idea, in my opinion), for example.

Now, the only important thing it is missing, in my opinion, is
subselects. The MySQL people are actively working on that, so I hope
that that will be supported soon.

MySQL has a comparison sheet on their website:
http://www.mysql.com/crash-me.php Of course you should keep in mind that
this is a sheet of a company that wants to sell *their* product (Just as
GreatBridge wants to sell PostgreSQL), but it can help to see which
features are present/missing in which database.

Best regards,
Helena