Tape Drive Recognized, but not recognizing tapes

Subject: Tape Drive Recognized, but not recognizing tapes
From: Reid Anderson (resander@g3.hamilton.edu)
Date: Mon Oct 16 2000 - 16:20:06 MDT

During startup (or by using dmesg) I can see the tape drive being
recognized during startup, but it doesn't want to recognize that there is
actually a tape in the drive. dmesg shows the following:

Vendor: HP Model: HP35470A Rev: 1009
Type: Sequential Access ANSI SCSI revision: 02
.
.
.
Detected scsi tape st0 at scsi1, channel 0, id 3, lun 0

It appears to me that the tape drive is being recognized, but with a Fuji
DG-90 DDS-1 2/4GB Tape in the drive, I try to mount the tape using the
default Tape Backup Tool and I get the error message:

KDat: No Tape
        There is no tape in the drive.

I can see clearly that the tape is indeed in the drive and the LED's on
the front show no sign of error in loading (no blinking or anything other
than green, just two solid green which blink only during the loading
process, then turn solid as the tape finishes loading). It is a brand new
tape (A Fuji DG-90 DDS-1 2/4GB Tape) straight out of the
packaging. Anyone have any ideas, comments or suggestions???

Thanks,
        Reid Anderson
        resander@cs.hamilton.edu

PS- Please do not use the g3.hamilton.edu address. Please use
resander@cs.hamilton.edu, or simply reply to the entire list. Thanks!