Re: Configuring server for internal network

Subject: Re: Configuring server for internal network
From: cdowns (cdowns@skillsoft.com)
Date: Thu Oct 19 2000 - 14:54:54 MDT

Gawain Reifsnyder wrote:

> At 1:01 PM -0700 on 10/19/00, darren david wrote:
>
> >Does anyone have any pearls of wisdom regarding setting up a fully
> >functioning YDL box on an internal network with no real hostname?
> >
> >This is my first Linux box, so please bear with me.
>
> I'm in the same boat as you. I've partially solved the problem by
> making up a name for the machine and adding it to my /etc/hosts file.
> It now looks like this:
>
> 127.0.0.0 localhost localhost.localdomain
> 192.168.77.21 fakenamehere
>
> Proftp now works,(I couldn't connect at all before) but connect times
> are still very long. Also, sendmail is taking extreme amounts of time
> to start up.
>
> I think we're missing something simple but critical here...
>
> Best regards,
>
> Gawain Reifsnyder
> Guitar.net, Inc.
> http://guitar.net

ya 192.168.77.21 is a very awkward address to use. i would use
192.168.0.1-254

[root@dwarf_1 vlad-0.7.4]# cat /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1 dwarf_1 localhost.localdomain localhost
192.168.0.100 lamprey
[root@dwarf_1 vlad-0.7.4]#

make all your machines on the same network like lamprey is 192.168.0.100
and the next machine to make this easy would be 192.168.0.110. if you
have a firewall then you gateway would be 192.168.0.1 and your broadcast
would be 192.168.0.255.

do you have a firewall and internal machines ? this message is too vague
to really help you.....

regards,

Christopher M Downs