Re: Configuring server for internal network

Subject: Re: Configuring server for internal network
From: Darron Froese (darron@froese.org)
Date: Thu Oct 19 2000 - 15:04:42 MDT

on 10/19/00 2:31 PM, Gawain Reifsnyder at gawain@guitar.net wrote:

>> Does anyone have any pearls of wisdom regarding setting up a fully
>> functioning YDL box on an internal network with no real hostname?
>>
>> This is my first Linux box, so please bear with me.
>
> I'm in the same boat as you. I've partially solved the problem by
> making up a name for the machine and adding it to my /etc/hosts file.
> It now looks like this:
>

> 127.0.0.0 localhost localhost.localdomain
> 192.168.77.21 fakenamehere
>
> Proftp now works,(I couldn't connect at all before) but connect times
> are still very long. Also, sendmail is taking extreme amounts of time
> to start up.
>
> I think we're missing something simple but critical here...

The reason that it takes some time to connect to ProFTPD and Sendmail takes
a long time to start up are *probably* because of reverse DNS issues.

You've taken care of the A records in the /etc/hosts file but you haven't
taken care of the PTR records. That can be fixed this way:

The way that I've done it is by creating a PTR zone for my internal network
and adding it to my name server.

I created the zone file "db.192.168.1":

$TTL 300
$ORIGIN 1.168.192.in-addr.arpa.
@ IN SOA ans darron.froese.org. (
        2000091101 ; SERIAL
        7200 ; REFRESH
        600 ; RETRY
        86400 ; EXPIRE
        60 ) ; MINIMUM

        NS ans.froese.org.

$ORIGIN 1.168.192.in-addr.arpa.
1 IN PTR machine1.internal.froese.org.
15 IN PTR machine2.internal.froese.org.
157 IN PTR machine3.internal.froese.org.
36 IN PTR machine4.internal.froese.org.

And added it to my /etc/named.conf file:

zone "1.168.192.in-addr.arpa" {
        type master;
        file "db.192.168.1";
};

Now when named starts up it loads that zone file as well. That way, the
reverse dns records work.

--
Darron
darron@froese.org