Re-configuring networking

Subject: Re-configuring networking
From: Gawain Reifsnyder (gawain@guitar.net)
Date: Wed Oct 25 2000 - 00:48:37 MDT

I've gotten an IP address from my ISP to run my YDL server on.
Previously, it was on our internal network with a 192.168.x.x address.

I've tried a number of methods to configure the system, but I'm
running into some strange problems. I first tried to use netconfig to
add new settings for hostname and IP address. That process exited
with errors so I tried changing settings by editing the configuration
files. Two strange things are happening:

1. The ethernet in the G4/400 keeps resetting itself to the old IP
address. After setting it to the new settings and restarting the
machine, it's reverted to the old address. This has happened with
netconfig, and by calling ifconfig directly. There's also a long
pause on startup when starting the eth0 interface.

2. After starting up, the machine will spit out a few lines of this
error message:

svc: bad direction 65536, dropping request

Any ideas?

Best regards,

Gawain Reifsnyder
Guitar.net, Inc.