Re: YDL is up and running

Subject: Re: YDL is up and running
From: Robert Vogt IV (vogt@arborhost.com)
Date: Sun Oct 29 2000 - 21:11:24 MST

    Mr. Douglass,

> It recognized my hardware modem for 56k dial out, but, I would rather have
> DSL service. Calling Bellsouth, I found out that the special modem that I
> recieved for my Mac would not work with the Linux OS. They stated that the
> Alcatel Modem for Windows would work, but, I would need an Intel based
> system to use it. Some how, this does not sound right. I am using an Alcatel
> speed touch home connected directly to the ethernet port, and I use a
> software called Enternet to access the DSL. I was told the only way that I
> might be able to get this DSL line working in Linux on the Mac would be to
> purchase a router with it's own hardware address and then hook that to the
> ethernet port, and then hook the modem to the router. For some faint reason
> I think I am being handed a line of bull. I contacted Enternet from their
> website, and I am still waiting for their reply. Bellsouth Tech support told
> me that the drivers for Enternet 300 do not work on PPC based Linux systems.
> (Which may be true... I got them loaded into the system from the CDROM, but,
> every time I try and click them or use them, I get errors.) Has anybody
> found a way around this? if I can not access my high speed line, then Linux
> is a dead end for me, and will unfourtunately be cast aside for something
> that works.
    Yes, you are correct. They just handed you a rather large load of bull.
You might need a dump truck to clear it away. :)

    With the DSL modem plugged into the Ethernet port (like on the Mac
side), go into linuxconf (as root), and select Networking > Client tasks >
Basic host configuration. Select DHCP for eth0 (Adaptor 1). Close
linuxconf, and tell it to apply changes. Then execute ifconfig to determine
if the changes worked (i.e. an IP address was obtained for eth0). If not,
try running 'ifup eth0' - this will produce helpful error information and/or
might bring up the eth0 interface. Then try ifconfig again... Execute
something like 'lynx arborhost.com' to determine whether or not your
connection is working. If it still isn't, mail the list again with the
error output.

    Sorry for the convoluted explanation... Good luck.

                            Sincerely,

                            Robert Vogt IV
                            CEO
                            ArborHost