Re: eazel nautilus build attempt

Subject: Re: eazel nautilus build attempt
From: goo (goo@radek.org)
Date: Wed Sep 06 2000 - 01:00:59 MDT

> Belay that last message then. I ought to have learned by now to read the
> *entire* digest prior to responding : ) .

...and I ought to have learned to verify what I'm spewing before I hit
"send". :)

> I'll give it a try, but I am very likely *not* to be the right person for that
> job.

I'll see what I can do to help you out...

> So if I place this file (sysdep.h) in the ...w3c-libwww-5.2.8/Library/src/
> folder and recompile, it should work? You're not talking to a programming whiz
> now, remember :) .

As we've already established, contrary to my earlier posting, all the files
you need are in ...w3c-libwww-5.2.8/Library/src/. The problem is that the
make doesn't build the HTZip stuff, because it's considered an "extra". If
you modify the Makefile, however, to link the HTZip stuff into the regular
library, it works (Nautilus resolves the reference and builds). Since it'd
be too complicated trying to explain how to change the Makefile, what I
propose is that you send me a copy of the Makefile in that Library/src
directory, and I'll send you back a patch to apply against it for it to
work.

>> Don't worry about that for now...you can always modify the configure script
>> to "recognize" Mozilla.
>
> Heh. How?

My Nautilus configure script should be identical to yours (very likely the
aforementioned Makefiles are identical, too, but better safe than thwarted
by a failed patch), so when I send the Makefile patch, I'll include a patch
for the configure file as well.

>> I won't be back on this for a while, so you'll probably beat me to the punch
>> line (doh!) -- good luck!
>
> If I do, I'll drop a line your way. Don't hold your breath, tho :) . Again,
> thanks very much for your comments so far.

I actually got around to finishing the build last night on the x86 platform,
but after an initial "tell us about yourself" screen, Nautilus gave up the
ghost when the execution reached a section of code supposedly unreachable...
Maybe you'll have better luck, since you didn't have to massage the code any
to get it compiled.

goo