Open Firmware boot syntax (was Re: Mac Newbie yaboot question)

Subject: Open Firmware boot syntax (was Re: Mac Newbie yaboot question)
From: Hollis R Blanchard (hollis+@andrew.cmu.edu)
Date: Mon Sep 25 2000 - 21:49:30 MDT

On Mon, 25 Sep 2000, Jason S. Moore wrote:

> AFAIK the Open Firmware can only boot off of HFS partitions(UFS I think
> too, like OSX)

Although I haven't been following Mac OS X much, I'm almost positive that
if you install using UFS you need an HFS(+?) boot partition for it too.

> so you need at least a small HFS partition that contains
> your kernel, yaboot.tbxi, and yaboot.conf. then you tell the open firmware
> to boot like:
>
> boot hd:x,\yaboot.tbxi

This is slightly wrong.

"hd:x,\\yaboot.tbxi" would run the program "yaboot.tbxi" from the
(blessed) System Folder.

"hd:x,yaboot.tbxi" would run yaboot.tbxi from the root level of partition
x.

Little known fact: if you omit the "x", OF will boot from the first
non-driver partition, usually your Mac OS system. This is convenient when
you can't remember partition numbers.

> where x is the HFS partiton number, and of course the yaboot.conf file
> being setup appropriately. This won't make the change permanent, you can do
> that by using a setenv command on the boot variable I think.

-Hollis