Re: Mail Server

Subject: Re: Mail Server
From: Bryn Hughes (linux@demian.shacknet.nu)
Date: Wed Sep 26 2001 - 11:44:32 MDT

Courier mail server (http://courier.sourceforge.net/)

It is the best package I've found by far. It has a pop3, smtp and imap
server, as well as a webmail server. You only install the parts of it you
need (sounds like all you'd want is the pop3 and smtp server portions).
It's open source (free), runs great on a Mac, is very scalable, easy to set
up (I'll give some help to anyone that needs it), and the author is VERY big
on standards compliance. Installation for me was as simple as downloading
the source and building RPM packages. Everything is included to build the
RPMs (basically all you have to do is type rpm -ta <sourcefilename>)

The best thing about this system is it is FAST! I was using the UW-IMAP
server that comes with YDL and Red Hat which was working okay, but it was
too slow when the mailbox got full. Courier is great!!

Bryn