Install questions

Trevor Zion Bauknight (trev@sc.edu)
Mon, 12 Apr 1999 10:55:43 -0400

I have an iMac and have transferred the contents of

ftp://ftp.yellowdoglinux.com/pub/yellowdog/champion-1.0/ppc/RedHat

except for the instimage directory (I have base and RPMS) on local HFS
partition and I have BootX1.02, the updated ramdisk.image.gz and vmlinux
(with iMac support) in my System folder. BootX works properly, starts the
installer.

The installer proceeds normally through partitioning. There appears to be
some kind of hiccup during "scanning for available packages" which results
in some sort of error message flashing to the screen...it has to do with
reading a directory, from what I can tell (it's obscured by the dialog).
But the install continues, allowing selection of packages, creation of
filesystem and copying of files. Mouse and printer config work fine.
Selection of services works fine.

When I boot and try to set up ppp dialup using the supplied scripts (as
I've done successfully, even regularly, with LinuxPPC) and try to start
ppp, I'm informed that kernel support is not present. There is also no
resolv.conf file in the /etc/ directory where I'd enter my DNS info.

startx also returns the error others have described. I grabbed the
XF86Config.imac file from the xconfigs directory at yellowdog, but I don't
know what to do with it.

What do I need to install that I'm not installing, what services do I need
to enable, etc. to get PPP working, and what to do to get X working? I can
transfer files directly into the Linux filesystem, but obviously can't
download anything directly.

Thanks! It looks like a nice clean system once a few kinks are ironed out...

Trev