FTP Download Filename Truncation & More

Waldo L. Jaquith (waldo@waldo.net)
Wed, 14 Apr 1999 22:02:46 -0400

Folks,

I read over every message sent on this group thus far, so I think I'm up to
speed. We'll see. :)

My problem, as I've noticed others discuss here (Jon Klein -- mad props to
the Hampster in the house :) -- and Trevor Bauknight), is that of filename
truncation.

I downloaded all of the files over my brand-spankin'-new DSL line, which
took a short 5 hours. The filenames, of course, were cut off, with elipses
(...) inserted in the middle of the filenames. As a result, my install
complained a great deal.

Now, I can boot, but the system complains that I need to run fsck becase
/dev/hda6 -- my root partition -- is screwed up, though in a non-specific
way. I've done so, but there's so bloody many errors that it's not worth
fixing them.

I can ignore the errors, and the system runs nicely, save for the dozen
programs (the X Windows System & others) that had filenames that were too
long.

One more problem: If I plug in my Macally USB hub, even with nothing
attached to the hub, I get a screenful of complaints. But it still boots.

Oh, and I ordered the 2-disc set from Yellowdog last night.

So, after all this, here's the question: What now? Should I wait for the
discs to come and re-install? Should I download the RPMs from somewhere?
Do an NFS install? Cut off the version numbers, as one person suggested?
Is there life outside of our galaxy? Are these minor problems likely to be
related to the overall one of filenames? Will our faithful Bat-Heroes make
it out of the Joker's evil trap?

I hope to find out on the next episode of: Yellow Dog.

Somewhat sincerely,
Waldo