Re: FTP Download Filename Truncation: Solved

Waldo L. Jaquith (waldo@waldo.net)
Wed, 14 Apr 1999 23:01:54 -0400

Perry wrote:
>i wonder if this is something that Anarchie is doing. [the truncation]. it
>*should* happen, because a macos filename can only be 32 chars, but what's
>weird is the way it's truncating it. I've untarred java source before on my
>mac, and it just chops off the end of the filenames if they're too long.
>i've never noticed anything like this before. odd indeed.

Wow, good call.

/me conks self on head.

OK, so XFree86-ISO8859-2-100dpi-fonts-1.0.ppc.rpm. I just downloaded that
in good ol' fashioned Fetch. It named it
"XFree86-ISO8859-2-100dpi-fonts-", which, I bet, would work, and certainly
is more in line with what Dan had expected.

So, a future warning to all: Download in a program that truncates filenames
properly. I love Anarchie, but now I know when to use Fetch.

Now I guess I'll wipe that disk and start over. :) Thanks, Perry, I needed
that.

Best,
Waldo