no M8 for PPC Linux????

Subject: no M8 for PPC Linux????
From: Evan Read (eread@netaccess.co.nz)
Date: Sun Aug 15 1999 - 00:41:44 MDT

Please Read through this for the background then the bottom for someone's
comment on this. i find this hard to believe, so I thought I would bring it to
a PPC forum.

Evan Read wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> I recently downloaded (FTP) the M8 source and built it on a PPC Linux machine
> using:
>
> gmake -f client.mk build
>
> And that seemed to work ok.
>
> But when the M8 starts up, I get this (in the terminal I run it from):
>
> JavaScript error: Components is not defined
>
> I get this erorr when I try to enter in a new URL:
>
> JavaScript error: Components is not defined
>
> When I start up the mail client, I get this stuff (among other errors) multiple
> times (acompanied by beep, after beep after beep):
>
> Alert: Alert! did not find a converter or decodernsDocumentBindInfo::OnStopRequest: Load of URL 'file:////home/evan/mozilla/dist/bin/res/samples/scrollDown.gif' failed. Error code: 1
> Alert: Alert! did not find a converter or decodernsDocumentBindInfo::OnStopRequest: Load of URL 'file:////home/evan/mozilla/dist/bin/res/samples/scrollUp.gif' failed. Error code: 1
>
> When try to create a new message, I get this:
>
> ComposeMessage from XUL
> ### msgComposeService is invalid
>
> Basically, this thing is screwed for me. I didn't do the gmake as root, but I
> didn't think I would have to as gmake didn't complain about not having access
> to dirs and stuff.
>
> Any help? Anyone build M8 for PPC (that works) that perhaps they could post
> somewhere and maybe RPM?

There is no port of the xptcall code for Linux PPC. Seamonkey can
not function properly without a working version of this platform
specific code. I don't know that anyone is actually working on
this or seriously planning on working on this.

http://lxr.mozilla.org/mozilla/source/xpcom/reflect/xptcall/status.html
http://www.mozilla.org/scriptable/xptcall-faq.html

John.

The first URL is a PORT STATUS that basically documents the
fact that the Linux PPC port of whatever the hell this is needs help. If I
could code that well, I would do it ;)

The second explains why in the hell this isn't cross platform.

The third is "john" answering this question in a different way.

Having no PPC port of the final Mozilla would be a freakin' tragedy. Anyone
know of anyone that may be able to do it?

Thanks all.

Ev.