Re: Linux Freezes in X

Subject: Re: Linux Freezes in X
From: Todd Masco (cactus@hks.net)
Date: Sat Aug 28 1999 - 17:20:27 MDT

BF wrote:
> I am a ydl newbie, but I may have a solution.
> My mac running the Mac OS used to do the same thing(same symptoms -linux)
> till the cpu fan was cleaned.

I doubt that's the problem - I'm pretty sure this is software-related.
Here's some more info from multiple machines:

I am also seeing the same problem: the computer completely locks up
while running XFree86 (I spend a substantial amount of time not running
X, and it's never happened without X).

This happens on both my Umax S900 at home and my iMac at work. It
usually occurs when I'm changing "virtual screens" from within
Enlightenment (for
what it's worth I also at similar times see spurious mouse events, both
on my ADB Kennsington thinking mouse-equipped S900 and my default iMac
USB mouse-equipped iMac).

Both machines are running CS 1.1, vanilla from the shipped CD-ROM with
all packages installed plus just a few compiled from the net (grip,
bladeenc, cdparanoia).

--
Todd Masco, CTO              | CCVS payment processing software for
Hell's Kitchen Systems, Inc. |  Linux & Unix systems: www.hks.net