Re: Linux Freezes in X

Subject: Re: Linux Freezes in X
From: Ian B Jaillet (ijaillet@eli.net)
Date: Sun Aug 29 1999 - 12:59:00 MDT

Todd Masco wrote:

> BF wrote:
> > I am a ydl newbie, but I may have a solution.
> > My mac running the Mac OS used to do the same thing(same symptoms -linux)
> > till the cpu fan was cleaned.
>
> I doubt that's the problem - I'm pretty sure this is software-related.
> Here's some more info from multiple machines:
>
> I am also seeing the same problem: the computer completely locks up
> while running XFree86 (I spend a substantial amount of time not running
> X, and it's never happened without X).
>
> This happens on both my Umax S900 at home and my iMac at work. It
> usually occurs when I'm changing "virtual screens" from within
> Enlightenment (for
> what it's worth I also at similar times see spurious mouse events, both
> on my ADB Kennsington thinking mouse-equipped S900 and my default iMac
> USB mouse-equipped iMac).
>
> Both machines are running CS 1.1, vanilla from the shipped CD-ROM with
> all packages installed plus just a few compiled from the net (grip,
> bladeenc, cdparanoia).
> --
> Todd Masco, CTO | CCVS payment processing software for
> Hell's Kitchen Systems, Inc. | Linux & Unix systems: www.hks.net

This freeze problem almost appears to be a Gnome and/or Enlightenment problem
which seems to be a recurring theme in all of these posts.

Try using WindowMaker without Gnome. I realize WM isn't as sexy but it's been
running flawlessly since I loaded CS 1.1 when it first came out and I have yet
to freeze or reboot.

My machine is an iMac rev. d with 160 meg mem and CS 1.1 with the 2.6 kernel
is as vanilla as it gets except for the WM update from YDL's erratta page.

BTW I've also not encountered the Netscape 4.61 problems reported by other
posters.

Ian