Re: little endian ... big endian ???

Subject: Re: little endian ... big endian ???
From: raptor (raptor@outer.net)
Date: Sun Dec 05 1999 - 08:34:31 MST

your .o (object files) are compiled for intel. you'll have to get
the source and recomplie them too.

intel be little endian, motorola big endian.

>Hi All,
>
> I'm new to YDL but have used other Linux distributions before so I know
>my way around the system... I think.
>
>Here's my problem, I'm on a DSL connection and my ISP has recently switched
>to using PPPoE (Point to Point Protocol over Ethernet). They have supplied
>an Intel Redhat binarie and the source. I've downloaded the source code and
>checked to make sure I have the libraries needed (libpcap-0.4, Libnet) and I
>beleive I have them. The problem is when I go to run "make" for the pppoe
>source it returns this series of messages shown below. To be honest I'm
>confused, I've never heard of "little endian" or "big endian" before so I
>have no idea where to start.
>
>Any Idea's?
>
>Regards,
> Andrew
>

>[root@gossamer pppoe.src]# make
>cc -funroll-loops -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -Wall -g main.o
>pppoe-discover.o libpcap.a libnet.a /usr/lib/libpthread.a -o pppoe
>collect2: ld terminated with signal 11 [Segmentation fault]
>/usr/bin/ld: main.o: compiled for a little endian system and target is big
>endian
>File in wrong format: failed to merge target specific data of file main.o
>/usr/bin/ld: pppoe-discover.o: compiled for a little endian system and
>target is big endian
>File in wrong format: failed to merge target specific data of file
>pppoe-discover.o
>/usr/bin/ld: pcap.o: compiled for a little endian system and target is big
>endian
>File in wrong format: failed to merge target specific data of file
>libpcap.a(pcap.o)
>/usr/bin/ld: pcap-linux.o: compiled for a little endian system and target is
>big endian
>File in wrong format: failed to merge target specific data of file
>libpcap.a(pcap-linux.o)
>/usr/bin/ld: savefile.o: compiled for a little endian system and target is
>big endian
>File in wrong format: failed to merge target specific data of file
>libpcap.a(savefile.o)
>/usr/bin/ld: bpf_filter.o: compiled for a little endian system and target is
>big endian
>File in wrong format: failed to merge target specific data of file
>libpcap.a(bpf_filter.o)
>/usr/bin/ld: sockpacket.o: compiled for a little endian system and target is
>big endian
>File in wrong format: failed to merge target specific data of file
>libnet.a(sockpacket.o)
>/usr/bin/ld: build_ethernet.o: compiled for a little endian system and
>target is big endian
>File in wrong format: failed to merge target specific data of file
>libnet.a(build_ethernet.o)
>/usr/bin/ld: error.o: compiled for a little endian system and target is big
>endian
>File in wrong format: failed to merge target specific data of file
> [...]

Scott Mullen Outernet Connections

Information and Systems 8217 Shoal Creek #106
mailto:raptor@outer.net Austin TX 78757
phone: (512) 206-0527 fax: (512) 206-0238
http://www.outer.net/banzai

--"The only reason for time is so that everything
doesn't happen at once." -- B. Banzai

--"I used to be smart as a monkey. Now I'm Just dumb as a chimp."
  --H. Simpson