Re: Multiple Ethernet Cards

Subject: Re: Multiple Ethernet Cards
From: Jason P. Stanford (jps3@Lehigh.EDU)
Date: Mon Dec 06 1999 - 11:13:36 MST

  I have the exact same setup here: A "Platinum" G3/300/128MB with the
built-in 10BaseT and optional 100BaseT card. I had been using both,
thinking along the same lines as you are. But here's the catch: unless
you are connecting to two different networks, only one device will
actually be used. When I was using both, a 'netstat -i' showed that only
eth0 was being used. All traffic went through it. Essentially, it just
aliased eht1's IP#'s.
  So, I switched off eth1, and set up ip aliases for all of the ip#'s I
had, and end up with eth0, eth0:0, etc. Works fine. The catch is that
TCP/IP, and others will bind to ip#'s and ports, but not devices. If you
are bridging or need to connect to two separate networks, then yet you
will need a separate NIC for each network.

                                                         Jason P.
Stanford

--
Taurus: (April. 20--May 20)
Try as you might, you will be unable to convince the judge that the