Modem dies on pbg3

Subject: Modem dies on pbg3
From: Adam Price (Adam@oldchildrensbooks.com)
Date: Fri Feb 25 2000 - 07:42:20 MST

Well, it is late February, and therefore time for my monthly question
about my modem. Sometimes it dies. Usually this happens in the middle of
a connection. All of a suddent all throughput stops. When I disconnect
and reconnect, kppp/minicom/chat says "modem doesn't respond" or "No such
file. If I pick up the phone, the modem is there, making the usual weird
noises. Soft reboot does NOT fix it. I have to hard reboot, and
disconnect power in order to get it to turn off. It then works fine - for
a while. Does anyone have the same problem, or know of a way to kill
power to the internal modem without rebooting?

******* The top 2 lines look just the same when the modem is working as
they do here. The date is the moment the modem died ******************

[ami@greta]$ ls -la /dev/ttyS2
crwxrwxrwx 1 root tty 4, 66 Feb 25 09:33 /dev/ttyS2

[ami@greta]$ minicom
minicom: cannot open /dev/ttyS2: No such file or directory