Re: Y2K Problem with CS 1.0+ ???

Subject: Re: Y2K Problem with CS 1.0+ ???
From: Paul Schinder (schinder@pobox.com)
Date: Sat Feb 26 2000 - 09:36:03 MST

At 4:43 PM +0100 2/26/00, Urs Hochstrasser wrote:
>Hi,
>
>>It's never a good idea to as for help without detail. What exactly
>>do you mean by "depart from January 1, 1970"?
>
>When running Linux on my Mac, I start over at Jan 1, 1970 every time
>I boot. When running MacOS natively, everything is OK.
>When running MacOS from MOL (Mac ON Linux) it starts with time/date
>from my Linux (i.e. sometimes in january 1970), but I can then set
>the time using a time server from the 'Date and Time' control panel,
>but I need t set it again after starting MOL the next time.
>
>All this fortunately doesn't seem to affect my Mac's internal clock
>at all, it's just Linux that has problems. The Linux I am using is
>YellowDog Linux CS 1.0 with most errata installed, and the kernel
>2.2.12 fom the YDL ftp site.

Look in /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit and find the section for "Set the system
clock". Make sure you have the files it's using, in particular
/sbin/clock. Mine's a CS 1.1 machine, but if you've patched
everything up, there probably shouldn't be any differences. IIRC,
/sbin/clock is supposed to read PRAM and set the Linux clock. It
certainly works for me, on both a Performa 6400 and a beige G3. I
have occasionally seen a boot begin with the clock set to some
bizarre time, but it fixes itself early on in the boot process.

I *really* doubt there's a "Y2K" problem with any Linux. If there
were, you wouldn't be the only one. This is something that's
specific to your machine.

>Cheers
>--Urs

>Urs Hochstrasser Urs.Hochstrasser@unibas.ch
>Botanical Institute, Hebelstrasse 1, CH-4056 BASEL
>SWITZERLAND Phone +41 61 267 23 07

Paul Schinder
schinder@pobox.com