Gnome trouble

Subject: Gnome trouble
helink@sandia.gov
Date: Tue Feb 29 2000 - 12:39:37 MST

If I don't work on my mac for a while, gnome logs me out to the gdm login screen -- what's up with
that? It was also happening when /etc/X11/prefdm was linked to kdm.

The only trace of what happens is in /var/log/messages, where I get the following

gnome-name-server[622]: input condition is: 16, exiting
PAM_pwdb[562]: (gdm) session closed for user helink

I also am getting a lot of

gnome-name-server[823]: starting
gnome-name-server[823]: name server starting

Which I find puzzling -- what the heck is gnome-name-server running for? I'm not serving DNS on
purpose, in any case, but I don't know if the two are related.

Finally, if I say
grep -ri foo /
even with user permissions (or as root, that works too), Linux (gnome anyway) hangs and I have to
hit ctrl-splat-power to reboot. I would really like to fix that. I discovered this when i was trying
to find gnome
configuration stuff -- it may not be a gnome problem)

thanks,
hamilton