contour design unimouse on '99 G3 pbook w/YDLCS 1.1

Subject: contour design unimouse on '99 G3 pbook w/YDLCS 1.1
From: David Covin (david@aves.uchicago.edu)
Date: Tue Jan 04 2000 - 14:02:47 MST

Hi. I'm trying to use a Contour Design Unimouse on a 1999 G3 powerbook
running Yellow Dog Linux Champion Server 1.1.

I found the RPM file at http://www.contourdesign.com/unidrivers.htm.
However, it claims that kernel version <=2.2 is a dependency conflict.
As far as I know all current stable linux kernels are version <=2.2 so
this leaves few options. Help?

More generally, despite references in this list's archives to Yellow Dog
promoting the unimouse, it's clear that you can't just plug one in and
expect it to run; but the closest thing I've been able to find to
instructions for how to install it properly was Contour Design's "I'm
assuming if you are a Linux user you know what to do with these files."
Is there a better explanation somewhere? Would installing the rpm file
with "rpm -U kernel-pmac-2.2.6-16b.ppc.rpm" be sufficient, if it
worked? Or is there more involved?

Thanks for any help.

David Covin
david@drozd.uchicago.edu