Stylewriter wants to post, but can't quite do it (Detailed)

Subject: Stylewriter wants to post, but can't quite do it (Detailed)
From: Adam Price (Adam@oldchildrensbooks.com)
Date: Tue Jan 18 2000 - 10:56:30 MST

I posted this on comp.linux.ppc, and got no replies. Can anyone here
recommend a course of action?

---

I know my stylewriterII wants to print, but it can't quite do it. I have lpstyl-0.9.7-1e.ppc.rpm installed. When I attempt to print from the command line: $ lpstyl test.foo I get: lpstyl: printing started, pid = 4097 (or similar # ;) ) but nothing happens, and the terminal hangs. When I control-z out of the hang, I get: lpstyl: Bad header format in input file (0) lpstyl: printing finished, exiting. and my terminal suffers weird error (no text appears, line breaks dissappear)

The printer does nothing in this case.

On the other hand, if I drag a file on to klpq, the stylewriter carriage shakes and sputters, waits for a second, (as it would in mac) shakes and sputters again, waits for about the length of time I would expect the print job to take, shakes one last time, and stops. The paper is queued in, but not advanced, and no printing runs are made by the carriage.

During all of this, klpq says "lp is ready and printing." (although I DO have lpstyl selected as my printer.) The jobs are never terminated, and end up as indefinitely sleeping processes with unknown tty's.

/var/log/lpd-errs reports only:

[ 1 pages * 1 copy ] left in - /usr/sbin/lpstyl: printing started, pid 93.643 * 10^gazillion

I suspect the problem is with my stty settings for the port (pbg3 wallstreet, /dev/ttyS0, works fine as a modem port)

[root@greta ami]# stty -a < /dev/ttyS0 speed 9600 baud; rows 0; columns 0; line = 0; intr = ^C; quit = ^\; erase = ^?; kill = ^U; eof = ^D; eol = <undef>; eol2 = <undef>; start = ^Q; stop = ^S; susp = ^Z; rprnt = ^R; werase = ^W; lnext = ^V; flush = ^U; min = 1; time = 0; -parenb -parodd cs8 hupcl -cstopb cread clocal -crtscts -ignbrk -brkint -ignpar -parmrk -inpck -istrip -inlcr -igncr -icrnl -ixon -ixoff -iuclc -ixany -imaxbel -opost -olcuc -ocrnl -onlcr -onocr -onlret -ofill -ofdel nl0 cr0 tab0 bs0 vt0 ff0 -isig -icanon -iexten -echo -echoe -echok -echonl -noflsh -xcase -tostop -echoprt -echoctl -echoke

These are the defaults. I found internet advice recommending I: [root@greta /root]# stty crtscts 57600 raw -echo </dev/ttyS0

It doesn't help. I am stumped. Any ideas? Anyone printing to a stylewriter without appletalk?

p.s. The printer works from MacOS, and there is plenty of paper.

-- adam@oldchildrensbooks.com

"Somebody once said that in looking for people to hire, you look for three qualities: integrity, intelligence, and energy. And if they don't have the first, the other two will kill you. You think about it; it's true. If you hire somebody without the first, you really want them to be dumb and lazy." -- Warren Buffet