Re: SUID and ppp..

Subject: Re: SUID and ppp..
From: Adam Price (Adam@oldchildrensbooks.com)
Date: Wed Jan 19 2000 - 06:29:00 MST

On Wed, 19 Jan 2000, Patrick Callahan wrote:

> By the way, can anyone explain why kppp might still not work from a
> personal account even thought the suid bit is set? Seems like some
> file protection thing is interfereing. Maybe files created as root
> with kppp before setting suid are accessible only by root or
> something. I'll investigate if I have time, but if anyone knows the
> answer...
> -Pat

I can't explain it, but:

With older kernels kppp exloited a security hole to determine whether or
not the kernel has ppp support. The newer kernels (at least since
2.2.14pre9) have this hole fixed. This means that on the first attempt
after powerup, kppp1.1.1 will only respond to root. After root has
launched once, kppp will store knowledge of ppp support somewhere (?) and
launch without complaint for anyone.

The fix? There isn't one. the kppp that comes with 1.1.2 is a slight
improvement. It launches for anyone, tells them there is no ppp support
compiled in, and runs anyhow. I have heard that kppp ala kde2.0Krash
doesn't have any troble, but I am skeptical.

See discussion

        PPP: After new kernel, kppp gives error but works!

in comp.windows.x.kde for more frustrating details.

-- adam@oldchildrensbooks.com

"355/113 -- Not the famous irrational number PI, but an incredible
simulation!"