Re: Lan City Cable Modems?

Subject: Re: Lan City Cable Modems?
From: Robin Colgrove (robin@louis.bidmc.harvard.edu)
Date: Sat Jan 22 2000 - 14:44:23 MST

I just mailed my old Lan City cable modem back to MediaOne after they sent
the snazzy new Toshiba DOCSIS cable modem out in the mail. I had no trouble
running the old modem under linux, though. When I first tried networking
over cable modem, I was running a standard install of Linux lite off a zip
disk without X-Windows. As root, I just typed dhcpcd at the prompt and we
were off to the races. It picked up an IP address in a couple of seconds.

Actually, now I remember I had to get a more recent version of dhcpcd to
make this work but this shouldn't be an issue if you are using fixed
addresses. Just for fun, I did once configure the network using as fixed
addresses the addresses that had been picked up by dhcpcd before. That
worked fine, too. I had heard that that (using fixed addressing when the
ISP was using DHCP) was a bad idea, so I switched back to dhcpcd. Anyway,
that would suggest that there are no deep conflicts between Lan City modems
and linuxppc.

robin colgrove