Re: linux no longer boots :(

Subject: Re: linux no longer boots :(
From: Graham Leggett (minfrin@sharp.fm)
Date: Wed Jan 26 2000 - 02:36:45 MST

Josh Forman wrote:

> Uh-oh...major probs here... Linux isn't even booting fully anymore...

Linux refuses to start up if your filesystem doesn't pass is consistency
check. If the automatic fix procedure doesn't work, then it will ask you
to fix it manually.

> First it says the filesystem with errors was found (my root fs)....check
> forced...(that's nothing new)

If that's not new to you then there's a problem - are you shutting down
your machine correctly after you are finished with it, or are you just
pulling the plug? If you don't go through a proper shutdown, you can
cause filesystem damage, which seems to have happened here. The same
goes for any OS, Unix, NT, whatever.

> then it says something about an inconsistency found (in CAPS!) and tha t I
> should run fsck "manually" I try that and it just spits out a version line
> or something.
>
> Before I tried fsck, it says give root password for routine maintenance, or
> hit control-d for normal startup. I tried the control-D and it shuts down
> almost instantly.

And did you enter your root password for routine maintenance? When you
do that, you get dropped into a shell so that you can fix the problem
manually.

Regards,
Graham

minfrin@sharp.fm		"There's a moon