Re: Kernel Issues (for CDR)

Subject: Re: Kernel Issues (for CDR)
From: Paul Schinder (schinder@pobox.com)
Date: Sun Jan 30 2000 - 08:24:59 MST

At 12:46 PM -0600 1/29/00, Phil Kirschner wrote:
>When told I needed to compile a new Kernel to get CD-R working, I
>used the rsync site from linuxcare.com.au to get the
>linux-pmac-stable sources. Yesterday, I ran "make menuconfig" and
>activate SCSI_Generic support (like I was told on this list), and it
>all worked fine, but I screwed something up later, so I decided just
>to do it all again.
>
>Today, I got the sources again, did the "make menuconfig", added
>SCSI_generic, did "make dep" and "make clean", but now I have
>encountered a problem with "make vmlinux".
>
>Every time I try now (even after redownloading the sources), I get
>this output:
>
>rm -f net.a
>ar rcs net.a ppp.o slhc.o <some other files> gmac.o
>ar: gmac.o: No such file or directory
>make[3]: *** [net.a] Error 1
>make[3]: Leaving directory '/usr/src/linux-pmac-stable/drivers/net'
>make[2]: *** [first_rule] Error 2
>make[2]: Leaving directory '/usr/src/linux-pmac-stable/drivers/net'
>make[1]: *** [_subdir_net] Error 2
>make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/src/linux-pmac-stable/drivers'
>make: *** [_dir_drivers] Error 2
>
>HELP! I just want to try burning CD's under YDL on my Beige G3.....

gmac is the Ethernet device on the new machines (like the iBook I'm
writing this on). So it looks as if they're rolling support for the
new Macs into the stable tree, and not everything got there. Try
resyncing the kernel sources. If that doesn't work, you're probably
safe simply taking gmac.o out of drivers/net/Makefile.

--
Paul Schinder
schinder@pobox.com