Re: X problems

Dan Burcaw (dburcaw@terraplex.com)
Sun, 13 Jun 1999 22:30:42 -0600 (MDT)

On Sun, 13 Jun 1999, Andrew B. Arthur wrote:

> > From: Andrew Rohl <andrew@power.curtin.edu.au>
>
> > I recently bought YDL after finding that LinuxPPC was pretty fragmented in
> > terms of support via lists
>
> The Yellow Dog Mailing List is smaller, and seems to have more help by Slice
> (danb), unlike LinuxPPC List. Although LinuxPPC List does seem to have much
> more developer participation in it.

The Linux/PPC list, while much of the discussion is about LinuxPPC, Inc's
product, is the community list. linuxppc.org is supposed to be the home of
the "Linux/PPC Project" and that's where the lists are housed. So, with
that said, more developers are subscribed there (specifically
linuxppc-dev) because of those reasons.

For those that are confused by the above paragraph, 'slice' is my IRC
nickname. You can find me most of the time in #MKlinux on EFNet.
Why #MKlinux? Well, despite the name, that's where most of the Linux/PPC
developers communicate on a real-time basis. Feel free to come by and ask
me questions if you dont want to wait for my "slow" responses :-)

> One big advantage to Yellow Dog Linux, is the offer many different types of
> tech support from basic e-mail support to expensive corporate packages.
>
> > and hard to configure.
>
> LinuxPPC is hard to configure? I don't find LinuxPPC R4/R5 (my play machine,
> mainly because I needed glibc 2.1, before I recently downloaded R5 for that
> machine) that bad to configure at all on my one machine. It's install
> process is almost identical to my other machine running Yellow Dog Server
> 1.0 (I use that as my 'real-work' machine). Once installed, the differences
> from Yellow Dog Champion Server and LinuxPPC R5 are very small in difficulty
> to configure. Both require some basic understanding of Linux.
>
> > I was a little surprised that the YDL package contained no detailed
> > instructions on configuring X

With our 1.1 product, we're revising the manual to include X configuration
information. For 1.0 users, as always our updated manual will be provided
online and you can simply print out the new pages.

> That was do to when YDL was released, their was no good configuration tool
> for Xfree86 on the PowerPC. All older Linux on the PowerPC distros used
> Xpmac, a self configuring server.

Right..

> I think the people at YDL didn't expect Xfree86 to be so difficult to
> configure on certain systems.

The move to the XFBdev server is a good thing for the future of PowerPC
Linux. Please bare with us (the developers of Linux/PPC) while we create a
better way to configure X on more hardware... we're getting there.
Xconfigurator is not perfect but it works now on a large amount of
systems.

> > as I'm sure that for vanilla macs the options must be limited compared to the
> > intel world.
>
> Yes, most configurations are pretty similar, that's why Xpmac is self
> configuring. Thanks to the work of JCarr, he has developed a program that
> should aid in setting up Xfree86 on the PowerPC much easier for most users.

If you are referring to "Xautoconfig", that was developed by Tom Rini.
Basically, for those that don't know, it generates a XF86Config file
based off the current framebuffer values. This creates a more generic
setup... so I still favor using Xconfigurator in the installer (.. with
improved documentation).

Dan

Terra Soft Solutions, Inc.
 email: dburcaw@yellowdoglinux.com