Re: accessing scsi drives

Subject: Re: accessing scsi drives
From: John Haffner (jhaffner@merithr.com)
Date: Mon Mar 06 2000 - 10:03:37 MST

Tim,

Let me say first that I have a grand total of 3 weeks experience with
YDL. So take this advice with the proverbial grain of salt.

In my understanding, YDL cannot mount HFS+ (MacOS Extended)
partitions. If you _do_ have HFS (MacOS Standard) partitions on your
drives, then you can read and write to them from both OSes.

>How can I check the names of the drives on the scsi chain from ydl? Do
>they have to be Linux partitioned? Or with a mac/linux partition?

AFAIK, the names are Mac-only. However, you could run pdisk -l to see
which of the devices are available to you (e.g., /dev/sda1).

>I would like to copy over html files to ydl created on the mac. So if I
>can view the same Linux partition on the mac and and copy them over for
>use when I boot Linux that would be fine.

To make the partitions available to YDL, you need to perform two steps:

1) Create a mount point by making a directory in /mnt (e.g., /mnt/internal3).
2) Edit /etc/fstab so that it has an entry for the desired SCSI
drive. You can use the other entries in the table to model your
entry. Make sure that the drive type is HFS, and that the line in the
table points to the mount point you created earlier.

Then you can restart your machine to mount the drive, or use mount -a
to have YDL all file systems listed in /etc/fstab.

If I have led Tim astray, please correct me. I am still quite wet
behind the ears.

Best Regards,

John Haffner
IS Manager