Re: B50 - HW support

Subject: Re: B50 - HW support
From: Christoph Wissing (wissing@mail.desy.de)
Date: Wed Mar 22 2000 - 04:57:56 MST

Hi,

> I have a standard B50.

My information is based on the 43P-150 which is (as far as I am informed)
a B50 in a different box.

> I was able to install the new YDL 1.2 on this B50 - it works but not
> perfect:

I am still running YDL 1.1

> Ethernet is an unknown Trident -> what is the right kernel-modul ? (
> ne2000 or 3com compatible ?)

You need to activate the PCnet driver. My dmesg looks like this:
: Found PCnet/PCI at 0xbff800, irq 22.
: eth0: PCnet/FAST 79C971 at 0xbff800, 00 04 ac 97 26 d7 assigned IRQ 22

Make sure to use a version higher than 1.25. Earlier version are causing
trouble with fifo overflows. From kernel 2.2.14 a useful version is
included in the official kernel source.

> TokenRing has problems too because all 3 TR-modules have unresolved
> symbols during depmod or modprobe
> -> where can I find a new kernel (patches) is there any location for
> 2.3 or 2.4 kernels ?

Concerning TokenRing I have no idea. You my start your search for kernel
source somewhere like www.kernel.org.

> The graphic-adapter is an GXT 130P with 8MB, linux says Matrox G200 with
> only 2MB (I also tryed to modify the XF86config but it still have 2MB)
> Is there any better solution ?

This is interesting. Has this card really 8MB? This card manages only
8 bit colour in X under AIX. (Maybe this is wrong, but that what I got.)
Have be able to get more colours in Linux? Even with 2MB I assume that
there should be the possibility to get 16 bit in a reasonable resolution.
Concerning your question I am also looking for an improvement.

> Any hints or experiences for configure the kernel ?

Execpt the ethernet driver I cannot improve your setup but I am also
interested in getting an optimal setup for such a box. I have read that
some people managed already to get sound working an RS/6000 (different
model, www.stud.ifi.uio.no/~ingvarha/43p).

If not already done you should subscribe to the workstation mailing list
at lists.linuxppc.com(or .org). There a few more poeple optimizing their
RS/6000.

Christoph