Re: ydl newbie questions

Subject: Re: ydl newbie questions
From: Patrick Larkin (larkin@enter.net)
Date: Wed Nov 10 1999 - 07:21:31 MST

Joseph Clark wrote:

> hello all,
> i have just installed YDL on my iMac Rev. B, and as
> this is my first adventure with a *N*X operating
> system, i'm a little overwhelmed. specifically, my
> main problems of the moment are:
>
> 1. how to turn on the sound

never tried.

> 2. how to get right-mouse-button functions with only
> one mouse button

on my imac, the middle mouse button is the NumLock key and the right
button is the = key. (both on the numeric keypad.)

> 3. how to make my modem dial into my ISP via PPP

i havent done it on my imac because i have direct connection. but this
is what i did on my intel box at home:

1. go to a shell and type: netcfg&
2. The Network Configurator window will appear.
3. Click on the Interfaces button. You are now going to create a PPP
interface. Click Add.
4. Select PPP as the interface type. Click OK.
5. Enter the phone number of your ISP and userid and password. Click
Customize.
6. You'll see a line that says 'Modem Port' and /dev/modem should be
filled in. I'm not sure if this will work or not. It may. On my intel
box, I had to put in /dev/cua0 to indicate my first serial port. Click
Done and then Save.
7. You'' be back in the Network Configurator window. Now, to start PPP,
click on the ppp0 interface and click the Activate button. your modem
should dial and you're on!

> i understand that the solution to these problems is to
> RTFM, and i would gladly do so, except i don't have a
> manual of any sort. is there such a thing? any
> recommendations? thanks...

There are TONS of websites. Everything you need to know is out there.
Even a Linux book of some sort is recommended.

Good luck.