Re: Cannot telnet from other machine

Subject: Re: Cannot telnet from other machine
From: Jason P. Stanford (jps3@Lehigh.EDU)
Date: Fri Dec 03 1999 - 11:26:14 MST

> With netstat -r

These seemed ok...

> With netstat -i

same here...

> network status

same here...

> I checked the file /etc/services for telnet; it is uncommented.

Ok. Also check /etc/inetd.conf. If you want telnet and ftp, make sure
those lines are uncommented. After editing, do a

  % /etc/rc.d/init.d/inetd restart

to get inetd to re-read the file...

> I also edited the file /etc/hosts.allow to add line in.telnetd: ALL

You should check /etc/host.deny as well. Here's what I use:

% cat /etc/hosts.deny
ALL:ALL

% cat /etc/hosts.allow
ALL EXCEPT in.telnetd: LOCAL .eecs.lehigh.edu .art.lehigh.edu
in.telnetd: ALL
portmap: LOCAL # for NFS use

> I tried with typing my machines IP address from other machine it shows
> it worked.

  Telnet worked by explicitly giving the IP#, but not the name? If so,
this could be a DNS/Bind problem.

> But with ftp connection is refused.

  Perhaps because it is "commented out" in /etc/inetd.conf...

> ping result:
> pinging 208.145.204.104 with 32 bytes of data
> reply from 208.145.204.104: bytes=32 time<10ms TTL=255

  There are many times ping will show results, but other services will
not work. This is because ping doesn't use TCP or UDP to find info, it
uses ICMP (it pretty much will just tell you whether the iface (e.g.
eth0) is up.

  Does /sbin/ifconfig show the iface has the correct info?

--
Taurus: (April. 20--May 20)
Try as you might, you will be unable to convince the judge that the