Re: [YDL] ppp not supported?

Subject: Re: [YDL] ppp not supported?
From: Dan Burcaw (dburcaw@terraplex.com)
Date: Sun Oct 03 1999 - 11:02:02 MDT

On Sun, 3 Oct 1999, Chris Seidel wrote:

> After installing YDL CS1.0 on a G3 powerbook (from a CD I bought a couple
> of months ago) I can't get X to work. So I'm trying to use Xautoconfig to
> help me out. However to get Xautoconfig onto the system I'm trying to get a
> ppp connection up and running. After spending an inordinate amount of time
> figuring out that the modem is connected to ttyS0 (and not ttyS3 as for
> earlier powerbooks), and typing in the chat scripts by hand from other
> linux distributions I use, I get an error in the log file that this kernel
> does not support PPP.
>
> Is it true that the Champion Server 1.0 kernel doesn't support PPP? Do I
> have to recompile the kernel just to get PPP? Without being able to
> connectto a network I can't get any files onto my machine (I was spoiled by
> netcfg).

The stock one does not. I suggest you download this kernel:
ftp://ftp.yellowdoglinux.com/pub/yellowdog/kernel/2.2.6/vmlinux

Once you get PPP up, you may want to switch to the kernel found in CS 1.1.
You can download the kernel*.rpms and vmlinux for 1.1 and use that no
problem.

> -Chris
> Dept of Molecular and Cell Biology "Information wants to be free."
> UC Berkeley * Kane Lab 614 Barker Hall

Dan

Terra Soft Solutions, Inc.
   Yellow Dog Linux