Poof -- Prisoner of OpenFirmware bootloader for imacs

Subject: Poof -- Prisoner of OpenFirmware bootloader for imacs
From: Shawn A. Wilson (YzfRacer@erie.net)
Date: Mon Oct 25 1999 - 22:47:13 MDT

http://www.ping.de/sites/zagadka/poof/

---------

that pages tells all but theres one thing ive ran into tonight.
 when using the NVTOOL you type out your boot-file variable dont forget to add
comma thingys and i left the = sign out too - like so
/sbin/nvtool setenv boot-file 'boot hd:6,vmlinux root=/dev/hda7
video=atyfb:vmode:17'

that is the CORRECT way that i used on my imac from the command line using the
vntool.

you "have" to have a HFS partition for this to work
i have an /exchange drive that doesnt even serve its name. i use it for back
up, but its hfs so i used it to put poof, and a copy of vmlinux on to it.
so.

boot hd:6,vmlinux - is the partition number of my /exchange (hfs) partition and
vmlinux is located on /exchange

root=/dev/hda7 - is your file system or root partition.

video=atyfb:vmode:17 - are my boot args for my video card.

---------

now the wrong or didnt work for me way) I hope this doesnt lose anyone. i
figure if you know what happens you'll know to look for it. if you use this
(as whats in the page):

 /sbin/nvtool setenv boot-file=boot hd:6, etc....

and do a /sbin/nvtool printenv
you will see this (most likely at the bottom):

boot-file=boot=hd:6,vmlinux etc...

(it throws a = sign between the boot and hd:6)
i hope i didnt confuse anyone heh
and i hope i saved a little time in working with it.
if i knew the creators e-mail id let him know but i ddint see an e-mail on his
page?

Thanks,
-Shawn