Re: DVD drives and Linux

Subject: Re: DVD drives and Linux
From: Urs Hochstrasser (hochstrasser@cyberlink.ch)
Date: Thu Oct 28 1999 - 03:38:51 MDT

Hi,

Graham wrote:
>Is there any actual DVD support for Linux yet, or at least a way to
>convince Linux not to freak out when it sees a DVD in the drive?

Well, on my B&W G3 350/DVD ,YDL, kernel 2.2.6-something (the
'UniMouse kernel'), a DVD movie disc is recognized as such, I can
mount it and list the contents (video files, etc) so there must be a
UDF driver around.

Do you have all the modules belonging to your kernel? When I upgraded
to just the 'UniMouse' kernel without the modules, Linux wouldn't
even recognize CD-ROMs any more...

So now that we see the DVD files, needed next is a Player for the
movies...anyone working on that?

Cheers
--Urs

Urs Hochstrasser Urs.Hochstrasser@unibas.ch
Botanical Institute, Hebelstrasse 1, CH-4056 BASEL
SWITZERLAND Phone +41 61 267 23 07