Re: booting problems...

Subject: Re: booting problems...
From: Dan Burcaw (dburcaw@terraplex.com)
Date: Mon Sep 06 1999 - 18:32:04 MDT

This is what the recent md5 updates fix (see the errata page). Basically
you are typing in the right password, but 'sulogin', the program that
prompts you for a password when there is file system damage, doesn't think
it's correct. For now, you can boot into single user mode by inserting
"init=/bin/bash" in the BootX kernel arguments.

> Hi...
>
> I booted into my linux partition and it froze. Rebooted and it went
> through forced file system check. Told me that it couldn't complete
> the repairs and was going to give me a shell to run fsck manually.
> Asked me for the root password, which I gave, and it rejected it
> everytime. I am POSITIVE I am typing the correct password. It's
> been my own password for years. The only other option is to cntrl-d
> into normal boot, which fails and it reboots the computer and I'm
> right back where I started. Is there anyway to run fsck from a
> floppy or some other way so that I can complete the repairs and get
> into the system? Please let me know if anyone has any ideas.
> Thanks...
>
> -Michael

> I t'ink I'll paste dis pat'etic palookah wit' my paralyzing,
> perplexing, perfect, pachydermus percussion pitch....
>
> -Bugs Bunny

Dan

Terra Soft Solutions, Inc.
 Yellow Dog Linux