Bulding a new kernel was Re: PCI IDE controller

Subject: Bulding a new kernel was Re: PCI IDE controller
From: Neil Jolly (njolly@home.com)
Date: Tue Sep 07 1999 - 21:43:32 MDT

Bernie Mentink wrote:

> Neil Jolly wrote:
>

> > I've never had a problem with freezes under Champion 1.1, and I use
> > Netscape a lot. My current up time is nearing a month with no problems
> > (running 2.2.11 on beige G3 r2 clocked to 292mhz/96mb ram).
> >
> Hi Neil,
>
> I'm running CS 1.1 on a RevA iMac. Can you tell me the method you used to
> upgrade the kernal to
> 2.2.11 istead of the supplied 2.2.6.

1. Download your desired kernel ie 2.2.12 is the latest stable version
2. cd /usr/src
3. Rename linux directory to linux.old
4. unpack the kernel in the /usr/src directory
5. recreate symbolic links to point to new kernel
    cd /usr/include
    rm -rf asm linux scsi
    ln -s /usr/src/linux/include/asm-ppc asm
    ln -s /usr/src/linux/include/linux linux
    ln -s /usr/src/linux/include/scsi scsi
6. cd /usr/src/linux
6.a. do a make mrproper if making kernel if this is not first attempt at
building the kernel
7. make pmac_config
8. make config
9. choose your desired options in make config, taking your time & reading
help as required
10. make dep
11. make clean
12. make vmlinux
13. make modules
14. make a back up copy of /lib/modules/ just in case
15. cd /usr/src/linux
16. make modules_install
17. copy /usr/src/linux/vmlinux.2.2.whatever to your system folder on your
mac boot disk
18. copy /usr/src/linux/System.map to /boot
19. reboot and enjoy your new kernel

I don't think I've missed anything there, but if somebody can add to these
instructions please do

--
Neil Jolly
(with Yoda-like voice)