Re: setting QT's PATH for QT 2. And about .profile

Subject: Re: setting QT's PATH for QT 2. And about .profile
From: Paul Schaap (paul.schaap@dingoblue.com.au)
Date: Tue Sep 14 1999 - 08:12:15 MDT

Evan,

> You my friend are a freakin' prince ;) That worked a treat.

Ta, and as prince I knight yea "Evan of NZ, lord of dot's"

> I like to think I go beyond the obvious when it comes to working Linux
> out, but what the hell is with a command like "."...

:-) Try 'man .'
All it does is reexecute your .profile.

> Egads... I am truly afraid ;)

<NOFLAMES>
  Yeah, its no MacOS, yet. And with MacOSX a we get BSD flavor unix with
  a G3 entry point ?!?!?! I love apple, I just don't get their quirkiness
somedays,
  you know, like the good old paper clip for ejecting floppies and then for
  rebooting hung iMacs. They should just ship iMacs with bent paper clips I
  reckon ;-), I wonder if YDL will ship one with their iMac Linux ?
</NOFLAMES>

> Thanks again

Anytime

> Evan.
>
> On Tue, 14 Sep 1999, Paul Schaap wrote:
>
> > Evan,
> >
> > > Hey all.
> > >
> > > I have attached the INSTALL file that I am reading from and I have set up
> > > the file "~/.profile" like it asks in the way that it asks but when it
> > > comes to "./configure" stage, it still claims my QTDIR variable is set to
> > > "" (nothing).
> > >
> > > Anyone have any ideas? Are the .profile files (as suggested for BASH) not
> > > done in YDL? Is there another file I could put the stuff suggested in
> > > INSTALL into that would set it up as need be?
> > >

> > Have you either done ". ~/.profile" to reinitialise your environment or
> > logged
> > out and back into your machine (which will do the same as ". ~/.profile".
> >
> > Also I think you may actually need to add the suggested to your
> > ~/.bash_profile
> > instead as this is actually the default profile for the standard shell
> > shipping with
> > YDL. Then run ". ~/.bash_profile" ...
> >

> > > Thanks to all. Great help.
> > >
> > > Evan Read.