Re: Rebulding Kernel

Subject: Re: Rebulding Kernel
From: Mark Fassler (mfassler@terraplex.com)
Date: Sat Sep 18 1999 - 19:22:43 MDT

John David wrote...

> When I looked in /usr/src/linux, I didn't see the Makefiles and so forth. I
> have Champion server 1 and a G3 powerbook. ISC dhcpd won't work with the
> out-of-cd yellowdog kernel - it looks as though the kernel needs to be rebuilt.
>
> Where is the kernel source tree? Installing the RPMs of the source cd didn't
> seem to put the source tree in /usr/src/.
>
> Where's the source?

The kernel source should be installed under /usr/src/linux-2.2.6 (I'm
assuming CS1.1). There should be a symlink to it called /usr/src/linux.
You can see if the RPM has been installed by typing
"rpm -q kernel-source". You can see what files have been installed (and
where) by typing "rpm -ql kernel-source".

It's possible that the install of the RPMs failed due to a dependancy
error, ie, the kernel-source package depends on other RPM packages. RPM
will tell you if that is the case when you try to install the package.

--
Mark Fassler
Terra Soft Solutions, Inc.