kernel problems

Subject: kernel problems
From: frame (frame@deadprotocol.org)
Date: Wed Sep 29 1999 - 11:52:08 MDT

Hello,

I have just started using YDL and I cannot seem to get PPP online. At
this point, I am unsure whether ppp is even compiled into the kernel
(2.2.6) as dmesg
| grep PPP doesn't return anything.

My question is how do I upgrade the kernel?
So far I've learned that BootX doesn't take compressed kernels, so I've
done a make vmlinux instead of make zImage, and placed this in the MacOS
partitions
system folder, which hangs at "booting..."

I was hoping someone could fill me on the differences in booting a new
kernel with BootX versus lilo, where on simply fills in "image=/zImage"

Thanks!

Greg