Re: please help

Subject: Re: please help
From: Jim Cole (greyleaf@yggdrasill.net)
Date: Sat Apr 15 2000 - 21:16:48 MDT

Dokks's bits of Sat, 15 Apr 2000 translated to:

>I have yaboot.conf and vmlinux and yaboot.tbxi in the system folder on my
>MacOS partition.
>
>here's the contents of my yaboot conf
>
>init-message = "\nWelcome to Yellow Dog Linux!\nHit <TAB> for boot
>options.\n\n"
>timeout = 150
>image=hd:8,\\vmlinux
>label=linux
>root=/dev/hda9
>
>Is the kernal suppose to reside permanently in the system folder on my MacOS
>partition?
There are ways to do otherwise, but for your current setup you would just
leave it where it is. You would of course need to update it if you build
a new kernel.

>also when I boot and hold down APPLE OPTION F O I then type boot
>hd:8,\\yaboot.tbxi
My understanding was that yaboot.tbxi was for a single-boot, Linux-only
system. Is that what you are aiming for?

>That puts me into the yaboot utility. If I then type linux it says image not
>found? but if I type hd:8,\\vmlinux. It loads the kernal. Yet startX will
>not start.
I have no idea whether it actually makes a difference or not, but I have
all the info associated with a particular image (label, root, etc.)
indented. That is also the way it has been in all of the examples I have
seen thus far, e.g.

image=hd:8,\\vmlinux
  label=linux
  root=/dev/hda9

Just a WAG since it sounds like the label is not being seen in your config.
I assume you are seeing the init-message as defined in yaboot.conf?

As for X not starting... Do you mean that typing startx fails? Or that X
doesn't automatically fire up and give you a graphical login screen when
you boot Linux? If it is the latter case, this is by design and can be
changed once a manual start via startx is giving you something reasonable.
If it is the former, there is probably a configuration problem; I know
next to nothing about the iMacs, so my advice would be limited to run
Xconfigurator ;)

>I have downloaded and printed out the manual on Yellowdogs site, but it is
>not very helpful with any information on Yaboot. And BootX always tells me
>that no suitable kernal found??
Did you download the manual for 1.2? They added a whole section on setting
up yaboot. Haven't actually read it, but I know it is there ;)

Jim