Illogical compression schemes

Subject: Illogical compression schemes
From: Mike Melanson (melanson@pcisys.net)
Date: Fri Apr 27 2001 - 22:10:48 MDT

Hi,
        It's me, everyone's favorite Mac illiterate. I still haven't given
up trying to put Linux on this PPC. I got Appletalk sharing to work
between the PPC and a Linux box so I can now easily transport files to the
PPC. Now the trick is *using* them.

        Let me see if I have something straight about Macs:

        Most of the Mac files and programs you can obtain on the internet
are available in either MacBinary (.bin), BinHex (.hqx), or Stuffit
(.sit) formats, right? And you need Stuffit or a comparable program in
order to decode any of these three formats, right? And all such programs
are distributed in either .bin, .hqx, or .sit format, right? I just wanted
to make sure I'm not missing anything before my head explodes from the
paradox...:) I see that there are self-extracting archives (.sea) files
which the MacOS can actually handle natively, but can I even download a
simple .hqx decoder in .sea format? Windows seems to have this
self-extracting executable idea down pretty well; why is it so difficult
on a Mac?

        And I can't seem to find any of these basic compression utilities
on the CDs that came with my system (MacOS 7.6 and PowerComputing software
CD). And this is a fresh MacOS install so I'm left with nothing.

        I hope you all find this challenge as amusing as I do...:)

--
	-Mike Melanson